It all started when I decided to backup my computer and do a little “clean up” because it had been warning me for while that my “start-up disk is almost full”… Turns I (thought I) had my iTunes library twice: once on my system disk and once on my data disk… I decided to remove it from the system disk since it’s the one that needed a little space to run more smoothly…
Ok, I deleted my entire iTunes library by mistake. I’m an idiot.
Somehow, most of the music was backed-up but the movies and TV Shows, not so much. So I banged my head on the wall for a little while and then decided to see if there was any solution to my “situation”… And there was. And I started fixing it (i.e. re-downloading everything), which I’m still in the process of doing. All of that to say: what a great moment to clean-up my movie library, on that gloomy Sunday afternoon and to make sure I have the can’t-live-without movies as a priority on my list…
You’re seeing it coming… what are the can’t-live-without movies?
In alphabetical order (I don’t want any of them to be jealous).
1. A Chorus Line – Hopefuls try out before a demanding director for a part in a new musical.
To watch when: I need inspiration.
2. Across The Universe - The music of the Beatles and the Vietnam War form the backdrop for the romance between an upper-class American girl and a poor Liverpudlian artist.
To watch when: I’m alone so I can sing along out loud, preferably on a big screen with surround sound to better experience the psychedelic fever.
3. Before Sunset - It’s nine years after Jesse and Celine first met; now, they encounter one another on the French leg of Jesse’s book tour.
To watch when: I start doubting love.
4. Casablanca - Set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War II: An American expatriate meets a former lover, with unforeseen complications.
To watch when: I want to remember what it means to tell a story.
5. Dirty Dancing - Spending the summer in a holiday camp with her family, Frances “Baby” Houseman falls in love with the camp’s dance instructor Johnny Castle.
To watch when: I need to feel like I’m 15 again.
6. Rocky Horror Picture Show - A newly engaged couple have a breakdown in an isolated area and must pay a call to the bizarre residence of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.
To watch when: I’m down.
7. The Right Stuff - The original US Mercury 7 astronauts and their macho, seat-of-the-pants approach to the space program.
To watch when: I have male company and I still want to immensely enjoy a movie while not passing as “girly”.
8. The Secretary - A young woman, recently released from a mental hospital, gets a job as a secretary to a demanding lawyer, where their employer-employee relationship turns into a sexual, sadomasochistic one.
To watch when: I’m feeling naughty.
9. The Way We Were - Two desperate people have a wonderful romance, but their political views and convictions drive them apart.
To watch when: I have something on my mind and I need to cry to get it out.
10. Valley Of The Dolls - Film version of Jacqueline Susann’s best-selling novel chronicling the rise and fall of three young ladies in show business.
To watch when: I miss my Philly friends or when I’m tempted to go all claw-crazy on someone.
What are your can’t-live-without movies?